TravelSmart Teacher Resource Kit
- Section 1 - Using TravelSmart
- Section 2 - Tuning in
- Section 3 - A healthier world
- Section 4 - Being TravelSmart
- Section 5 - Resources
- Download PDF
For Junior, Middle and Upper Primary School Years
TravelSmart is a teaching resource about travel options and the social and physical environment in which we live. It aims to:
- introduce students to the benefits of sustainable travel options
- reduce the impact of the car on our environment, health and community
- encourage individuals to think about how they can change their travel habits by choosing and using a range of transport modes
- identify personal and environmental benefits of planning and using a variety of travel options.
© Permission to copy any of the sections of this resource for personal or classroom use is granted. Apart from such copying, materials in this resource may not be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, transmitted in any form, or reprinted in any form without the written permission of the publisher.
About the Authors
This teacher resource has been produced by the Australian Government through the Community Programs Unit of the Department of Transport and Urban Planning, Transport SA, South Australia. The principle writing of the resource was carried out by Sue Hazel, with Belinda Bonney acting as project manager and Diane Lee providing content direction and editing.
Sue is a qualified teacher librarian and has extensive experience in cooperatively working with teachers and learners in a planning and writing curriculum units for classroom work. Sue is currently at Moonta Area School Community Library, South Australia and is also participating in writing projects concerning traffic safety and curriculum. She is studying teacher librarianship at Masters level through Charles Sturt University and has a deep and abiding interest in information literacy and in the process and content of teaching information skills for lifelong learning. Sue sees the TravelSmart program as an excellent resource that engages people of all ages in learning about the 'how, when, when where, why, who and what' of environmental care through informed travel choice.
Belinda managed this project and worked in collaboration with the Australian Greenhouse Office to coordinate the handover of material. Her professional background includes experience as a primary school teacher and in the area of program development. Belinda helped to shape the direction of the toolkit based on her experience working with schools to implement curriculum programs and travel behaviour change activities. Diane worked with Sue in the final stages of the project, providing advice on inclusive teaching and learning activities as well as overall document style. Professionally, Diane has worked as a high school teacher, with a focus on language and literacy, and since commencing work with Transport SA has worked on implementation of the TravelSmart SA program in South Australian schools.
We wish to acknowledge the following individuals who have participated in the process of evaluating and suggesting new content for TravelSmart - Teacher Resource. Their knowledge, honesty and hard work are truly appreciated.
- Colin Watchman - Craigburn Primary School, SA
- Elizabeth Jaunay - Dover Gardens Primary School, SA
- Heather Miller - Dover Gardens Primary School, SA
- Melanie Sutton - Dover Gardens Primary School, SA
- Lydia Golat - Highgate Primary School, SA
- Margo Wilson - Highgate Primary School, SA
In addition, we acknowledge the contributions to the original resource, which have been adapted in this revised edition.
- Suzanne Kott and Marise Boff
- David Butler
- Air Watch - Department for Environment and Heritage, South Australia
- Christies Beach Primary School, SA
- Environment Australia
- Food and Fitness - Australian Meat and Livestock Corporation
- Kilkenny Primary School, SA
- Local Government Association of South Australia
- Local Government Research and Development Advisory Committee
- National Curriculum Services
- NRMA Clean Air 2000 - National Road Motorists' Association, New South Wales
- Passenger Transport Board
- Road Ready - Transport SA
- Rose Park Primary School, SA
The Teacher resource kit is also available for downloading as PDF files. (PDF Help).
- Download Introduction
(introduction.pdf - 89Kb)
- Download Section 1 - Using TravelSmart
(section1.pdf - 86Kb)
- Download Section 2 - Tuning in
(section2.pdf - 727Kb)
- Download Section 3 - A healthier world
(section3.pdf - 711Kb)
- Download Section 4 - Being TravelSmart
(section4.pdf - 616Kb)
- Download Section 5 - Resources
(section5.pdf - 682Kb)