How to set up a successful bikefleet - a Toolkit
The Bicycle Federation of Australia
Department of the Environment and Water Resources, April 2007
About the toolkit
The purpose of this Toolkit
The purpose of this Toolkit is to assist organisations that may be considering the implementation of a bike fleet. The Toolkit can help them do so effectively and efficiently. It can also be used by organisations that have decided to implement a bike fleet, or by individuals who are trying to convince management of the benefits of a fleet.
The Toolkit sets out:
- A definition of bike fleets and why you should consider them
- How to make a case for a bike fleet
- How to set up, manage and promote a fleet
- How to evaluate the success of your bike fleet
- Additional resources that may be useful.
Dont be intimidated by the size of this Toolkit.
Setting up a bike fleet is not difficult it requires some commitment, especially from management, a small budget and common sense. The Toolkit should help you set up a bike fleet more quickly and efficiently by learning from some of the people who have done it before. Remember that each bike fleet is different use the parts of the Toolkit that are helpful to you and make sure that you enjoy doing it!
Remember too some of the problems you will face are similar to those which are treated as surmountable, but require much more effort and expense when setting up a vehicle fleet.
- Appendix A - Sample Questions for Staff Survey
- Appendix B - Sample Bike Booking Form
(bikefleets-appc-bikebookingform.xls - 16KB)
- Appendix C - Risk Action Worksheet - based on Brisbane City Council's
own Risk Action Worksheet
(bikefleets-appc-riskaction.xls - 208KB)
- Appendix D - Bike Fleet Application Form
- Appendix E - Revised Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire - based on Maribyrnong City Council's questionnaire
- Appendix F - Job Demands Checklist for Cycling - based on Central Sydney Area Health Service's checklist
- Appendix G - Sample Bicycle Competency Assessment
- Appendix H - Two Minute 5-Step Safety Check - based on Maribyrnong City Council's safety check
- Appendix I - Bicycle Pool Code of Conduct
- Appendix J - Fault Report Form - based on Maribyrnong City Council's report form
- Appendix K - Accident Report Form - based on Maribyrnong City Council's report form
- Appendix L - Establishing a Workplace Bicycle User Group
- Appendix M - Cost-Benefit Calculator
(bikefleets-appm-costbenefitcalculator.xls - 264KB)